Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Be Smart- Sound Smart

If you want people to respect your intelligence, you need to sound, I don't know, intelligent. Wow, that was profound, huh.? Apparently,it was!
Many of you can't figure out why people don't respect your intelligence. It could very well be as simple as, YOU DON'T SOUND INTELLIGENT! Now I'm not saying you need to inundate the masses with multi-syllable words, but I am saying, you would do well to learn a few more. I advise my clients to learn a new word everyday. This may be a bit much for some of you, due to your hectic schedule. So learn a new word once a week, and incorporate it in to your daily vocabulary.
Trust me, there is nothing remarkable about sounding like a rapper, or a country western singer. Most of them lack the on-air vernacular (if you don't know what that means-there's your word for the week look it up!) Most of them lack the vernacular to present themselves as a professional. Terms like bling, crunk, reckon, and y'all, may be perfectly fine within the confines of your environment. But they don't transfer as well in Corporate America. And believe me, if you don't fit into Corporate America, your possibilities of success become extremely limited.
Take some time and learn a new word, you'll be amazed how quickly people will begin to treat you differently once you start to sound different.
Remember the old saying, "It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it true." Until next time...
God Bless and dress well,
William the Clothier

2 comments:

  1. I guess I better drop y'all from my list of words!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're the Hungry Housewife, you can say anything you want. :-)

    ReplyDelete