Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting Dressed For Church Is Too Much Work

Let me begin by saying, this post is geared toward Christians, or any other religious faction. I am a Christian so many of the references will be as such. Feel free to substitute for your equivalent term. For my non-faith readers, come back tomorrow, if you feel this is not for you.
Now that that's out of the way, I was wondering. Why is it so difficult for us to get dressed up for church? I understand the bible says, "Come as you are.", and I know it shouldn't matter what you wear to church, as long as you are in church. But I just don't understand how, as Christians, we can call on God when we need him, ask for his forgiveness, and ask him to bless us with all of our wishes, but it's too much trouble to get dressed up for him. I see people dressed up everyday to go to a job God has blessed you with. I see people get dressed in their team colors for sports events. And let's not even get into the amount of work we put into getting an outfit, especially ladies, for a high profile event. We buy new clothes, and accessories, to please the people in the room. But to get dressed to go to the house of God is too much work. I mean, really?
I understand not everyone has a closet full of suits. But what would you wear to a party at your boss' house? I doubt if you would show up the way I see some people show up for church. Blue jeans, shorts, t-shirts; all of these I see on a regular occasion in churches these days. I applaud the pastors that have accommodated this mindset, because it gets more people the church, which is what really counts. My own pastor preaches in jeans. Quite often, I'm one of few in the congregation in a suit. Not because I sell clothing, but because I feel if I can get dressed for a club, I can get dressed for church.
How can you say it's too much work to get dressed for church, but not to go tailgating, or to a party? When times are tough, do you call on Peyton Manning or Tom Brady? Did you call on Oprah the last time a family member was sick? Can Denzel Washington saved your soul? Of course not, but if we went to an event that all of these guys were going to be at, trust me, you'd dress accordingly.
Some of you dress better to go play golf than you do to go to church, and that's just a shame. I don't see a time that I will ever go to church that casual, but if that's how it has to be to get you in church, so be it. I'm just saddened that we care more for wearing the colors of our favorite sports team than we do, to get dressed for God. Oh well, it is what it is. Until next time...
God Bless and dress well,
William the Clothier

No comments:

Post a Comment