Monday, March 9, 2009

What Shoes Do You Wear With What Suit

I have been asked, by a good friend of mine, what color shoes do you wear with certain color suits. This will be short and sweet. Black shoes match every color suit. You can also wear brown with all shades of brown suits, and some grey and navy suits. If you attempt this, be very careful. It is very easy to make a huge mistake when venturing out to wear brown shoes with navy, and grey.
Now let's talk about the shoes. If at all possible, you should have at least 2-3 pairs of black shoes and 2-3 pairs of brown shoes; especially if you wear suits on a regular basis. They should be different styles, and should always be shined.
Some rules of thumb with shoes are:
1. Always wear shoes that are darker than your suit.
2. Wear shoes that match the dress level of your clothing. Slip on shoes are actually a casual shoes, (hence they just slip on-like slippers). If you are wearing a suit for professional reasons, you should wear a shoe with laces.
3. Make sure your shoes are always shined.
4. Dress shoes should be laced to be horizontal, not criss crossed. I don't always adhere to this because I don't find it to be that important. Now that I think of it, I better fix that now. I should practice what I preach.
Wearing blue, yellow and other various colors of shoes may sound like a good idea at church, but it is a disaster in the professional arena. Stick to black and brown and you will be just fine.
I hope this answers your question. Feel free to keep the questions coming. I appreciate it. Until next time...
God Bless and dress well,
William the Clothier
You can find more blog posts by me at http://www.williamtheclothier.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Thanx dear. But can U wear sneakers with suits or plain(business) slacks? Or must it be jeans n chinos?

    ReplyDelete