Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Successful Image Is Not An Accident

There are a lot of ways to describe how one develops a positive and succssful image; by accident isn't one of them. A positive image isn't achieved by accident. It is the result of performing a series of deliberate acts, consistently, until it becomes routine.
I have a morning routine. I wash, shave, and brush (like everyone else). Then I take my clippers and trim the lipline of my moustache and I clean my neckline. It takes a little more time, but I have an image to project. I make sure my watch doesn't clash with my suit. I also make sure it isn't intimidating to my client. Signs of too much success can be detrimental. I make sure my shoes are nice and clean, and the creases in my shirt are sharp. Then I get dressed and leave.
While I'm on my way to a meeting, I think of the people I may see, potential coversations, and how I want to be taken. I try to see myself as my audience will see me. My movements are deliberate. Every move I make is for a specific effect. I call these power positions.
Have you ever noticed the number of snapshot pictures of our President? He is rarely caught in a silly position or expression, because he has mastered his movements and power positions. In effect, he's mastering his image.
This may sound like a lot, but these are the things that dictate first impressions. These are the things that dictate whether people see you as contender, or a pretender. Anyone can dress up in a suit. But the suit is just the beginning. It establishes the expectation of the audience. What you say, and how you say it are the next steps. It is your responsibility to represent the best you possible. Your image is directly connected to your success. Spend more time on your image and less on ancillary nonsense like fantasy brackets, and where the party is. Think about your image, and you'll think about your success. Until next time...
God Bless and dress well,
William the Clothier
You can find more tips and information on style and image at http://www.williamtheclothier.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment